Making your own version of your favorite take-out meals at home means you can control the amount of sodium and fat your family is consuming without compromising on flavor. If you stock your freezer with whole-wheat pita and your pantry with healthy pasta sauce, you will always have the base for a perfect Pitazza at a moment’s notice.
Healthy cooking tip: To add protein to your Pitazza without the extra sodium, roast a whole chicken. Remove the meat and store in your fridge. Freeze the bones for when you have spare time to make your own, low-sodium chicken broth.
Prep time: 8 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: ½ pita
Calories per serving: 202
• ½ cup (125 mL) Healthy Choice Garlic and Fine Herb pasta sauce
• 1 90g whole wheat pita, split in half to make 2 circles
• ½ cup (125 mL) finely sliced peppers (red, orange and/or yellow)
• ½ cup (125 mL) sliced mushrooms
• ¼ cup (50 mL) minced red onion
• 2 tbsp. low-fat feta cheese crumbled or your favorite low-fat cheese
• Preheat oven to 400F/205C.
• On large baking sheet arrange pita bread
• Spread ¼ cup (75 mL) Healthy Choice Garlic and Fine Herb tomato sauce evenly on each pita half
• Top with ¼ cup (50 mL) each: peppers, mushroom and 2 tbsp.(25 mL) red onion.
• Evenly sprinkle crumbled feta cheese; bake for 12 minutes or until the pita crust is golden.
• Slice Pitazza into two pieces, serve with garden salad.
Tip: Top with diced chicken for an extra protein punch
Tip: Make it Naanzza using low fat, low sodium naan bread